Anna J. Alcorn
• University of San Diego B.A. Ocean Studies, B.A. Anthropology, 1994
• National University Single-Subject C.L.A.D. California Teaching Credential, 1999
• Body Arts and Science International (BASI) Pilates Foundation Instructor Training, BASI Costa Mesa 2016
• Progressive Ballet Technique Training (PBT), San Francisco Ballet, 2017
• Australian Physiotherapy and Pilates Institute (APPI) Certification for Rehabilitation of the Back, San Diego 2018
• Body Arts and Science International (BASI) Pilates Comprehensive Teacher Training Course with Dance Specialization under the instruction of Karen Clippinger (+ 600 hours), completed August 2019
Professional Dance and Pilates Teaching Experience
• Straight Up Pilates: Fallbrook, CA September 2019 - Present
Responsible for leading reformer classes to meet expectations of discriminating cliente. Ability to motivate, provide individualized instruction in a group setting, and offer modifications to accommodate injuries or unique needs.
• North County Academy of Dance: Bonsall, CA October 2015 - Present
Responsible for teaching Pilates mat classes weekly to both dancers and general population.
• North County Academy of Dance: Bonsall, CA March 2013 - Present
Experienced ballet teacher to ages 3-advanced dancers. Responsible for teaching 1 -2 hour ballet and pointe classes. Participate in providing evaluations for pointe advancement, auditions, and choreography for yearly performances. As a long-term dancer in San Diego County, I also substitute teach in other ballet and dance studios.
• Personal Trainer January 2015 - Present
Offer private ballet and Pilates sessions to clients from a wide range of abilities and ages. Responsible for guiding experienced dancers into greater range with extensions and turnout, facilitating better flexibility with aging clients, guiding disabled clients through movement therapies, supporting physical therapy protocols with injured clients, and providing rehabilitation for office workers with ‘desk syndrome’.
• YMCA: Encinitas, CA April 2007- January 2009
Taught West African Dance with live drummers. Used traditional steps and stories to ensoul this cardiovascular experience!
Dance Performance Experience:
• Performed corps de ballet roles in The Nutcracker, Swan Lake, A Midsummer Nights Dream, and Sleeping Beauty. NCAD and California Ballet
• Competed and performed Lindy hop nationwide both as a ‘Jill’, and with a choreographed group
• Taught and performed Brazilian Samba with the San Diego group Sol E Mar, at Cafe Sevilla, and the 1993 World Cup Soccer Festivities when SD hosted Brazil.
Additional Teaching Experience:
• UCSC: online science course development and teaching 2016-2019
• Carlsbad High School: oceanography, biology & AP environmental science teacher 2000-2006.
• Guajome Park Academy: middle school science teacher 1998-2000
• Madonna High School, Chicago, IL: science teacher 1994-1998
Special Pilates Skills:
• High level of proficiency in Beginning and Intermediate-level movement skills. Personal and teaching experience with Advanced-level movements.
• Use of props and modifications
• Special focus on dance-specific, and back pain Pilates exercises
• Excels in communication and articulation of Pilates principles
• Motivates with positive energy, compassion, and highly developed interpersonal skills
Professional and Personal References Available Upon Request